Movie Set Builds
Building movie sets is a fun, dynamic process that can make your film stand apart from the rest. A delicate balance of design, construction, set decorating, and lighting converge together in order for your “set” to look like a real place. Jerry Blohm and Graylan Franklin are art directors and set designers with more than 30 years of experience working on projects big and small. Their sets have appeared in “Last of the Mohicans,” “Bad Boys,” and “Into the Blue,” as well as indie projects and other feature films.
Movie Set Builds: Frequently Asked Questions
Get all your most pressing questions about building movie sets answered here:
- What is in a movie set build? A complete movie set build includes all scenery, furniture, and props needed to create a sense of time, place, and atmosphere.
- How much do movie sets cost? A major motion picture movie set can cost $100-$150 million, while feature films can be done on a more modest budget of 70-90 million. That said, we’ve worked on indie movie sets with budgets as low as $6,000, so it all just depends! We specialize in “making the impossible possible!”
- How long does it take to build a movie set? An elaborate, full-sized modular film set can take 30-45 days to build, with smaller modules erected in as little as 3-5 days. Onsite assembly can take two to three months. Most of the projects we work on involve smaller sets that are up and running within a few weeks.
What Does A Movie Set Builder Do?
- Listens – We have worked on major motion pictures and worked with filmmakers like Jerry Bruckheimer. We know the most important part of our job involves listening to your needs. If you don’t have many concrete ideas yet, we can read over your script to gain insight on your production requirements.
- Designs – All you truly need is a feeling, a time, or a theme. Our expertise can provide the rest. We’ve dressed more than 200 music videos, commercial sets, and film scenes, so we know what it takes to get a professional looking set. We’ll go over mood, color palette, era, stylistic considerations, budget, and necessary props.
- Budgets – Have grandiose plans, but a limited budget? Don’t worry about a thing. Let us look at ways to help you save. We own a prop rental house and a 3D foam fabrication studio, so we have innovative ways of doing more for less.
- Curates – Our Miami, Florida prop house is the culmination of more than 30 years of curating and collecting. We’re talking about tens of thousands of items – all at your disposal! We can furnish a modern home or a time period with props, create a unique environment like a beach shipwreck or the inside of a spaceship.
- Creates – When we can’t find the exact right prop or scene, we build it in our 3D Foam Carving and Fabrication studio. We’ve made animals, signs, giant food, celebrity busts, graveyards, and so much more. 3D printed foam can be coated to look like many different materials. Our process is fast, affordable, and professional-looking.
- Ships – The cost of moving sets from our Miami, Florida prop house to the beach is $75-$150 each way. If you need a set in Fort Lauderdale, it’s $100 to $250 each way. Though we’re located in Miami, Florida, we’ve shipped sets across the country. If you need a shipping for another location — within the state or outside Florida — we’re happy to accommodate you with a quote.
- Constructs – The movie set build process is hassle-free when we unpack the delivery vans and arrange the sets for you with great efficiency. We make sure your movie set is ready when you are, so no time is wasted!
- Tears Down – Enjoy a hassle-free experience when you work with a full-service movie set builder. When it’s all over, we break down the sets, return the rental props, help you safely store any custom props, and dispose of any waste.
Contact Movie Prop Rentals with any questions you have about building sets using our award-winning set directors.